2012년 3월 21일 수요일

About the possibilities for critical Pedagogy in my class

If I had read Shin's case study 2 years ago, I would have thought that she might have chosen one of the prestigeous high school which has good English speaking students, and wouldn't have thought much of it.

Shin had two-part case study to explore the possibilities for critical pedagogy in Korea. One case  was the 14 hours after-school program with 12 ninth graders. The other case was 16 class meeting with 28 eleventh graders. 
Critical dialogue helped students identify the issues, and learn collaboratively, had them engaged, and promoted communication in English. Teacher tried to help students develop arguments,  still maintain a certain level of authority, and  eventually foster learner autonomy. Students chose the topic by themselves, develop their ideas and express them. They dealt with the topic about cultural, economical, political, and social problems. I enjoyed reading her experiment and I think it was successful.

I'm co-teaching with a native teacher. We're teaching students in Grade 5, and 6 mainly focusing on listening, and speaking skills. We have about 30 students of varying proficiency in English in one class.

I think it's possible to adapt Shin's method to my class but it might be less 'critical' or not really 'critical'. Having critical dialogue with the students who can't answer right away to "How's it going?" is too much for them. Shin's students also reported that the biggest challenge was how to express their thoughts in English. At least those high school students could developed their own ideas or opinion. But what if the students had nothing to talk about the topic even in their native language.

So, first I would try to have this critical discussion about cultural, educational, social, and political issues in the L1 class such as Korean, Do-duk, or Social studies class. My students are too much accustomed to the multiple questions or simple CCQs so they need time to think harder and practice to make their own perspectives. 

This year my Korean-American co-teacher and I aim to let our students talk a lot in English. When I reflected on my class, the one who speaks more is the teacher not the students. Let students use English not just study or learn about English. We're using the pattern drills, memorizing the model dialogue, building up vocab, reading the paragraphs, and performing the role play in order to have them talkative. Sometimes, through the role play students have a chance to produce their own meaning. They are put in the specific situations. They don't memorize the script and recite it. They make their own lines and perform it.

So far students' performance or produce is not satisfying but I will encourage them with confidence. Basic language skill should precede the higher thinking ability, I think.

"What do you think?" sounds like easy question but it's not to the person who may be given that question. It's still one of the uneasy questions to me.








댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기